Top 5 Questions From Malaysia Income Tax Payers

23 04 2010


Do you know what are the top 5 questions being asked by the public when thay called up the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia (IRB) call center?

Here are the top 5 questions and see whether your questions have been answered.

Question 1
How do I register an Individual income tax reference number?

Answer 1
There are 2 methods of registering an income tax reference number:
1) You can register manually at the nearest IRBM branch by bringing along a copy of your identification document, remuneration statement and business registration for business cases or

2) You can register online through e-Daftar. Please visit

Question 2
When will the current year’s excess tax credit be refunded to me?

Answer 2
You will receive your refund within

i) 30 days from the date of submission if the submission is done within the due date through e-filing.
ii) 3 months from the date of submission if the submission is done manually, within the due date.

This is one of the advantages using the e-filing submission.

Question 3
Where can I make my Individual income tax payment ?

Answer 3
Individual income tax payment can be made at:
i) IRBM payment counter (Jalan Duta, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching)
ii) Counter (CIMB Bank, Public Bank, Maybank,Eonbank, Pos Malaysia)
iii) E-payment. Please visit
iv) Internet banking (CIMB Bank, Public Bank, Maybank, Eonbank, Pos Malaysia)

Question 4
What are the conditions to claim deduction on housing loan interest?

Answer 4
Interest expended to finance purchase of residential property. Relief of up to RM10000 a year for three consecutive years from the first year the interest is paid.

Subject to the following conditions:
i. An individual who is a citizen and resident; (for the definition of resident do refer to Definition of Individual Residence in Malaysia)
ii. The purchase of the residential property is limited to only one unit;
iii. The Sale and Purchase Agreement (S&P) has been executed from 10th March 2009 to 31st December 2010; and
iv. The particular residential property must not be rented out.

Question 5
Do I have to register a company tax file if my company has not commenced operations?

Answer 5
A company tax file has to be registered only when the company has commenced operations/business.

If your have further questions, do contact IRB customer service number at 1-300-88-3010 or 603-4289 3500 (Overseas).

Believed that the call center will clear your doubt on the Malaysia income tax related issues.

Please take note that deadline for the submission of Year 2009 BE form is 30 April 2010.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: